Shepaug Friends of Music
Providing music opportunities for the youth of the Shepaug Valley Region.
INFORMATION AND GUIDELINES
SFOM is pleased to offer continuing educational support for SVHS Seniors who have made a commitment to music throughout their high school career.
SFOM offers two different scholarships-a Merit Scholarship and a Recurring Scholarship.
- If you apply for the Recurring Scholarship, there is no need to also apply for the one time scholarship. Applicants for the Recurring Scholarship will be automatically considered for the one time scholarship, if he or she does NOT receive the Recurring Scholarship.
- Merit Scholarships are available to seniors who plan to attend college and have demonstrated a dedication and commitment to music during their high school years. The scholarship can be valued as much as $1,000, depending on fund-raising that year, and is usually available to several qualifying students each year.
- The Recurring Scholarship is available to a single student annually – a student who intends to pursue music as their major throughout their college years. The scholarship is offered for up to four successive years and renews annually, as long as the student progresses toward a music degree. The award is up to $4000 over the four undergraduate years. While in college, the recipient shall provide SFOM with their college transcript and a personal letter each year, as evidence that he or she is continuing to pursue a music major.
- Please Note: The Recurring Scholarship will not necessarily be awarded every year. It is specifically designed to provide financial assistance for those of exceptional abilities, who are pursuing a career in music and we may not have qualified applicants every year.
- To apply for the Merit Scholarship- please complete the appropriate application form and submit it to the SVHS Guidance Department by April 15th. Link to Merit Scholarship Form.
- To apply for the Recurring Scholarship - please complete the appropriate application form, and submit it along with the 2 required letters of recommendation to the SVHS Guidance Department by April 15th. We'd suggest that one recommendation come from a music teacher outside of the SVHS faculty, and the other from an acquaintance who can vouch for your character. Link to Recurring Scholarship Form.
- Please answer all questions as clearly and detailed as possible.